From:
D Q Bellamy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 13:29:14 -0500
In a message dated 06/01/97  17:20:22, you write:

<< Jim Tyler informs us:

 >Most (if not all, by now) of the ill-advised alterations (done by one of
 >San Francisco's less worthy companies) have been reversed...

 - leaving only that ghastly console(?).

 -Brian >>

Yes . . . without wishing to seem ungracious or unkind, that console is
certainly not the most handsome I have ever encountered, and not really what
one would have expected from such a notable instrument. I have often wondered
what the Skinner original was like - I assume that it was drawstops. If this
is so, then why the move to rocking tablets?

If I remember rightly the console is mobile - I seem to remember being at a
Christmas Eve (?) New Years Eve recital there in 1989 and being able to see
what was going on. The organist used pistons situated on the key cheeks a lot
- I remember wondering what they were for . . .

It is a grand organ at Grace Cathedral, but Liverpool's mobile five manual
drawstop console certainly leaves it in the shade from the good looks point
of view. But then, I suppose, its not the console but the music the organ
makes that counts . . . .