From:
Michael Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2018 12:28:05 -0400
Can you believe it's August already? For this month's selections, I have
tried to offer a lot of variety. For those who want a challenge, I chose
a sonata by a great Belgian organist. For those who want to remember the
sadness, casualties, and deaths of "The Great War," World War I to us, I
chose one of the most moving yet approachable pieces by an American
organ teacher and composer. There is an atmospheric piece by J W Clokey
depicting an old village in Norway. And, I present two pieces by the
organist hired by G W Vanderbilt to play the organ at Biltmore.

ORGAN SHEET MUSIC
-----------------
1. IN A NORWEGIAN VILLAGE by Joseph Clokey. My first selection is
Clokey's Op 11, No 1, from 1920. It's an atmospheric piece depicting a
visit to an old Norwegian (Viking) village.
http://michaelsmusicservice.com/music/Clokey.InANorwegianVillage.html

2. IN MEMORIAM, by Gordon Balch Nevin. I could not find information
about exactly the subject of this piece, but I believe it is intended to
honor those who died in World War I.
http://michaelsmusicservice.com/music/Nevin.InMemoriam.html

3. TWO COMPOSITIONS, OP 52 by F Flaxington Harker. The first of the two
is based on "Silent Night." It is rarely heard, so if you're looking for
a different treatment for this year, I hope you will take a look.
http://michaelsmusicservice.com/music/Harker.TwoCompositionsOp52.html

4. SONATA 1, by Joseph Callaerts. Although this sonata will take work,
it is not an impossible task. The Finale is the favorite movement (isn't
it always?), and I present a recording for you to enjoy.
http://michaelsmusicservice.com/music/Callaerts.Sonata1.html

MONTHLY DISCOUNT BUNDLE. To get the four pieces mentioned above, I offer
a special price so you can buy all of the pieces above with one click
and save money in the deal. I welcome your support, and if you don't
want to play a particular piece in the group, consider giving it to a
student or another organist.
http://michaelsmusicservice.com/music/MonthlyBundles/201808.html

I include a couple of recordings of these pieces, but I welcome you to
make and share some videos of these so that we all can enjoy them. Thank
you all for your interest in this music.

Cheers!
Michael
--
MICHAEL'S  MUSIC  SERVICE   4146 Sheridan Dr, Charlotte, NC 28205
704-567-1066   ** Please call or email us for your organ needs **

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-