From:
Thomas Dressler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Dressler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:10:32 -0400
>I have been hiding behind my ignorance for a bit on this thread - I don't
> understand the usage of the term "comma" (I hope I am not alone in this)
>
> I have found this all enlightening and instructive.  I have been wondering
> however why there have been so many temperaments developed over time.
> This
> would explain why Bach sounds good on some organs and not on others.  Does
> anyone have an idea of the temperaments of his organs?  I know he played
> on
> a number of them and am wondering if this may have had an influence on his
> writing.

What good questions! I, for one, feel this discussion is an important one.
Rather than banning it, it should be encouraged, with good questions and
informed answers--an as much as possible an avoidance of knee-jerk,
uninformed reaction. I wouldn't go so far as to say only those who know how
to tune should enter the discussion however. This is how we learn, and one
would hope that a forum such as this would allow us to continue growing
after our years of lessons or music school.

While some would say that changes in temperament over time were a
development or improvement which ultimately ended in equal temperament, this
is clearly not true if one reads historical documents. Equal temperament was
known as far back as the Renaissance and even as far back as the ancient
Greeks, but it was rejected for many hundreds of years because it did not
serve the purposes of the musical styles currently in use. Temperament and
musical style have gone hand in hand over the historical eras. It is
possible to discern the temperament a composer had in mind by analyzing his
music. I suspected Buxtehude preferred Werckmeister before I actually read
that he was an enthusiastic supporter of Werckmeister simply through the way
his harpsichord suites are written.

Unfortunately, if one is sensitive to tuning, one size does not fit all. For
an organ, this presents a real difficulty as it cannot be retuned all the
time as a harpsichord can. If I want to practice Sweelinck, I simply tune my
harpsichord in 1/4 comma meantone. Then if I want to practice Bach, I retune
in Werckmeister (for earlier pieces) or something similar to Brad Lehman's
temperament (for WTC or other pieces that seem to want it.) I believe Bach
himself was dealing with many transitions in musical style, fingering, AND
TEMPERAMENT. I think he probably developed his own style of tempering later
in life, that he probably dealt with meantone early in life as well as on
the many organs that were still tuned in some kind of meantone, that he was
probably very familiar with Werckmeister through his association with
Buxtehude. . .and that he eventually developed his own style of tuning.
Historical evidence through his student Kirnberger and his son CPE Bach
provide very strong evidence that JS Bach, himself, rejected equal
temperament because he preferred key colors. However, it is sometimes argued
that his frequent transposition of pieces argues in favor of equal. I don't
know about that. When I have the harpsichord tuned in Werckmeister, I will
try things in other keys just to see how they sound, and why wouldn't he?
And one of my favorite examples in favor of organs tuned in Werckmeister is
the F major cadence and exposition in the middle of the Dorian fugue. How
wonderful that sounds in Werckmeister! (F major is it's best key) and how
boring it sounds in equal!

So I believe Bach is a complex subject when it comes to temperament. I do
believe that temperament influenced writing very strongly, and I personally
feel that different Bach pieces like to be played in different temperaments,
depending on how they're written. I don't like the WTC in Werckmeister as
well as other pieces of his. Why do we have to settle on just one single
"Bach temperament?" As to the question about organs and Bach, I am not aware
that anyone knows for sure how the organs were tuned that he played on. We
do know that Silbermann used a mild meantone, but that Bach did not like it.
Other than that, I don't think we know. I'd bet that he MOSTLY had to play
on meantone, even if he didn't like it especially. And surely he knew how to
deal with it, even if he didn't like what he perceived as limitations.
Perhaps some of the organs were in Werckmeister, and perhaps, even, he had
some influence on how some of the organs were tuned. . .that's a very good
question.

But for an organ, again, one does have to settle on one, and that can be
difficult. I suppose in general I prefer Werckmeister overall, or something
like Brad Lehman's temperament, but Werckmeister, especially, does not
handle Franck so well (but it's no worse than hearing Bach in equal. . .)
The music that gets really butchered is that written for meantone. But if
one chooses meantone, then that excludes a lot of other music, as Romantic
music (except British music up til about the mid 19th century) really
doesn't work. (But again, Anglican chants. . .some of them sound FANTASTIC
in meantone, as that is what they were intended for! Those problemmatic
final chords with thirds in the tenor and no fifth . . . they sound great in
meantone, as they were intended!) Equal temperament does work ok in
instruments built on slider chests that tend to pull intervals in tune. The
Tannenberg in Winston-Salem sounds not too bad in equal, but it pulls, as
does the Round Lake organ--remarkably so at times! The worst sounding
instruments in equal are electronic instruments (or even DE pipe organs)
that won't budge an inch!

The choice for an organ really depends on the literature it will be playing,
for the most part. I don't think this is too objectionable, as for me, just
as one temperament does not fit all, I have yet to find an organ where one
tonal approach fits all.

And one needs to really keep in mind that even equal temperament was not
really equal until the 20th century, for various reasons, not the least of
which is that even piano tuners would "sweeten" the temperament to favor
certain keys.

Thomas Dressler

Poconos, PA

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .