From:
Scott Foppiano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:38:01 -0500

(abridged:)

>1) Whether the owners of this list like it or not, it has become a place
>where organists feel comfortable chatting about their concerns.   Without
the wide >variety of personalities who offer so much to PIPORG-L, it might as
well become a >simple on-line encyclopedia of organ technology and history,
with all the personality of >an IBM technical manual.  If the list owners
would prefer to maintain a list
>that only occasionally needs checking, this is the way to go: just provide
>no protection for those who are stating their opinions or who wish to
>discuss their problems in an open forum, and then let the sharks feed on the
>fresh meat until only the sharks are left.  Trust me - the people who want
>to chat about their problems and are seeking suggestions or even just a
>little bit of sympathy will take their letters elsewhere.

Not to go against David or Ben but I must agree 100%.  I see the value of
keeping discussions on the topics for which they were originally intended,
but, as has been said MANY times before:  where else can church organists,
choir directors and organ lovers in general talk, compare notes, confide and,
yes- even complain?

>2) My other point is closely related to the first, namely, that aside from a
>psychologist or psychiatrist, who besides other organists and church
>musicians would be interested in hearing the problems of one of their
>colleagues?  I agree that Ingrid has written at length about the problems in
>her church, but the membership of this list changes occasionally, and if one
>group of readers does not offer her any suggestions to improve her
>situation, perhaps another group will in a couple of months or so.  Besides,
>how often has she offered words of wisdom and concern to those of us who
>have had problems which other people (especially non-musicians) might label
>'stupid'?  I have seen her show her compassionate side to many of us at one
>time or another, and I feel certain that she has offered many answers to
>people's problems via private email, so that the exchange of personal
>thoughts is not aired openly in a community which may tire of hearing them.

True, thank you Ingrid.  And there have been many others as well who
contribute greatly to this list and to us invidivually as colleagues (YES-
theatre and classical organists)!

>Every list needs an Ingrid, and I will sorely miss her if she ever leaves.
>I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion.

You are not alone, at least as far as I am concerned.

>When I get tired of hearing about somebody's problems, and I don't have a
>solution, I avoid their letters, unless they are addressed to me.

That is a sensible and realistic solution, I tend to do the same thing.

>When I get tired of reading malicious drivel bent only on destroying the
>reputation and feelings of someone totally undeserving such treatment, I do
>what I can to make that writer's words less available to that forum, and I
>strongly encourage the rest of you to do likewise.  A quick note to the
>owners may influence their thinking.

Again, very true.

>Nobody on this forum should have to refrain from writing because they fear
>that their words may make them the targets of 'people' like Brian Styles and
>Bob Melhuish.

Absolutely correct!

Folks, let's remember that we need to support and encourage each other.  My
God- in some venues and applications the organ is diminishing as the
instrument of choice.  Let's not bash each other when we are striving to
promote the music of OUR instrument
(again- whether it be classical or theatre).

Scott Foppiano