From:
Roy Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 16:38:51 -0700
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread of "how an organbuilder goes about designing an organ"  This should be of great interest to all and especially to me as we are about to go about designing a new organ for our new sanctuary... and, thruthfully, I love celestes and party horns just like everyone else but I also know (from being a food service consultant) that you "never let the chef design the menu".  I want to personally thank Stephen Bicknell, Sebastian Gluck, Pieter Viesser and Bud Clark for their invaluable input.  Now on to Stephen's last posting re: how much vertical space is needed for the pipework...I agree on most of what he says...the one thing that he didn't discuss is how planting the pipes too closely harms the tone.  That's one fault with the Blackinton chests - the very thing they use as a sales point is that the mechanism is so much more compact and you can get a lot more pipes in the same space.  Problem is, they're too close together - the basses are posi!
 tively
 crammed and even the trebles are closer than ideal....good luck getting to some of the pipes for tuning...(all of this from a local organ builder).  Stephen talks about the Skinner organs being buried behind other ranks...I've seen the pipes in many a slider chest organ, historical and otherwise, positively buried behind other ranks and adjacent pipes as well.  Then you also get the shading problems - the pipes are so close together that when you sharpen one pipe, it also makes the next higher adjacent note sharper!  So, in addition to the head height requirement which Stephen so accurately describes, you also need adequate horizontal space arooung the pipes.  Please keep this thread going....it's fascinating.

A. Roy Daniels
organist and Director of Music
St. Michael's by-the-sea Episcopal
Carlsbad, Ca

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .