From:
Brian Styles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Styles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 19:03:50 GMT
Jim Tyler confirms that the hideous console is still in situ and D. Q. Bellamy
regrets its design, wondering what happened to the (Ae-SK?) predecessor.

I'm sure Jim can be authoritative on this one. I was there in May, last(!)
year and if ever there were an aid to recital/service-playing, this
contraption certainly isn't it! It's of more or less normal shape, but with
tilting tablets in the jambs. I think the previous console was a normal
"sensible" Ae-Sk design and I guess it was bastardised in the rebuild. It's
in a fixed position - to the "north" of the choir, with the organist's back
to the east end, if I remember. I heard, from someone, a more or less
unrepeatable explanation of how this state of affairs came about, but this
is a family show...

Quentin says:

>...its not the console but the music the organ makes that counts . . . .

True, but it helps and one has to take off one's hat to the incumbents
who fight with this horror, day in, day out.

Oh, by the way, I heard a whisper that the new(ish) Liverpool console cost
something in the region of $100k.

-Brian