From:
Stanley Lowkis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stanley Lowkis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:14:07 -0400
In my web search I found this which was published in the
Ottawa Valley Theatre Organ Society (OVTOS) Winter 2004 newsletter.

The article referenced is over a year old.
The Concert is ?scheduled? for September 16th.
That's less than two weeks for us all to make arrangements to attend
..and obtain that rhino!

Stan Lowkis

STAND BY FOR BLASTING! Quite definitely
the most stentorian organ in the world may be that
dreamt up by surreal painter, Salvador Dali. A
report in a Sydney paper states that it is finally due
to resonate from a Catalan hilltop, the ruined 10th century
castle of Quermanco, near Dali’s Spanish
birthplace, in the centenary year of the artist. A 20-
year project costing over 1 million euros, the organ
has reached feasibility by engineers from a
Barcelona University. The tramontane wind blows
into the organ via a huge funnel, is channeled past a
pressure regulator and blasted out of the
instrument’s 500 pipes; fans can be used on calm
days. Dali had wanted this hilltop, with its
Mediterranean views, to be guarded by a
domesticated rhinoceros. A search is on for such a
beast because the inaugural concert is booked for
September 16, 2004. It is not clear if the animal has
to be deaf. [Sydney Morning Herald (July 5-6,
2003), p.13].

I found a neat web site about these wind sounded instruments in my
search:
http://members.aol.com/woinem1/index/#Kite

David Bohn wrote:

> >Dear List,
> >
> >I recently learned that Salvador Dali wanted to build a wind-powered organ
> >for the Quermanco Castle. The 500-pipe organ would be powered by the fierce
> >tramontana wind. Finally the project was started. The inauguration date was
> >set to Sept. 16, 2004. German organist Wolfgang Seifen was working on
> >special scores for the Tramontana organ.
> >
> >All the news I was able to find on the matter are from year 2003. Does
> >anyone know if the organ was actually built?
> >
> >Sites:
> >Quermanco Castle
> >http://www.castelldequermanco.es
> >
> >Tramontana organ site
> >http://www.orguedelatramuntana.com/
>
> Blancafort's website (accessible from the orguedelatramunta site) has a little
> information; unfortunately, it's in Spanish, and the website is heavily Flash-
> dependent, so I wasn't able to get a translation in any way.
> --
> David Bohn
>
> composer
> conductor
> organist

> http://www.wiscomposers.org/members/bohnd.html

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .