From:
"John L. Speller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John L. Speller
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 09:51:03 -0600
At 01:10 PM 1/4/97 +0000, Paul Fearnley wrote:
Each year we
>have a number of visitors from Burton-on-Trent, the premier brewing town
>in England.

>This year my barrel of inventiveness has run dry.

How about getting them all to sing along with the organ in a nice temperance
hymn?  There is a very suitable one, No. 680 in that classic of the
nineteenth century evangelical hymnody, Ira D. Sankey's *Sacred Songs &
Solos*, which begins: "Take Courage, Temperance Workers!"*

John Speller
who comes from a family of heavy drinkers who made a fortune running a chain
of temperance hotels in North Wales and Merseyside and then drank it all ...