From:
John A Widmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John A Widmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:53:19 EST
Well, discovered that Balbastre's "Noel VI: quand Jesus naquit a Noel"
bears a resemblance to Lo Decembre Congelat, the Catalonian Carol that we
sing "Cold December Flies Away" to in the Lutheran church.  The name of
that resemblance is "virtual identity".

Now looking in my Webster Dictionary's World Gazetteer, it says that
Catalonia is a region in Northeast Spain, yet Balbastre calls this a
"French" Noel.  Anyone else want to chime in on this one?

Nonetheless, this "Noel" makes a fabulous introduction to Lo Decembre
Congelat.  I used it in church today, and got MANY compliments.  I
suggest it heartily.

John A Widmann
City Carillonneur, City of Frederick, Maryland
Director of Music, Saint Paul's Lutheran Church, Myersville, Maryland