From:
Steven Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 11:38:03 -0400
>As a 38 year old stuff-shirt church musician, a teenager in the '70's and yet
>could not name one hit song by Elton John (I needed a life even then :)
>I must say his appearance at Diana's funeral was entirely appropriate
>and yes, extremely moving.  The idea was initially a little alarming, I admit,
>but surely no one who has seen the broadcast can still object, I hope??

Well, here I go again. I started quite a stir with my first post. I have
received lots of private responses as well as the public ones. Just about
all of the private posts supported my position. A few crackpots! You have
to take my word on that.

I have listened, with an open mind, to the song quite a few times. To me,
it is merely a nice 'love' song - very sentimental. It does not carry any
message of Christian faith, and I therefore believe that it was
inappropriate at a Christian worship service. It IS perfect for those
moving montages of pictures that the TV is so fond of putting together.
That is entirely its proper place.

Steve