From:
"E. T. Schmitt" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
E. T. Schmitt
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:17:39 -0500
At 07:10 AM 9/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Randall wrote:
>>
>It is my recollection that Allen Organ Company bought all of the
>M.P.Moller records/files.
>
>-Brett
>
>> What is going on with the Moller records I wonder?  I know the OHS has
>> them,
>> but I once wrote to the one in charge as listed in the tracker,
>> (forgot who
>> now, it was almost a year ago I guess) and never heard back.
>> What is the status of the records, and how can one get copies of
>> documents
>> pertaining to a specific organ, in this case- my 1930 opus #5757?
>> Randall

The Allen Co. did indeed buy the records. They have since donated the bulk
of these to the Organ Historical Society. At this point, because of the
sheer quantity of material (several truckloads), OHS has rented space in New
Hampshire to store the material. The plans are to file the original copies
of the contracts in the Archives in Princeton, along with "the first 5,000
correspondence files." The material in New Hampshire will be available with
difficulty. It is still being organized (a massive job). Tentative plans, I
believe, are to make arrangements to accumulate requests, and send someone
up there 2-3 times a year to pull the material requested and make copies.
Archivist, Stephen Pinel, is working on a draft of an application for copies
from these files. There is to be an initial charge, plus a per page charge,
to cover the cost of sending somethere for the materials.

OHS is awaiting the release of the last of the materials from Allen, which
includes the original contracts for which space has been prepared in Princeton.

Current holdings include:

For numbers up to Op. 260, no records. Factory and records destroyed by fire
in the 1890's.

Opus 260-2500, some information in ledgers (including perhaps price,
delivery schedule and an occasional stoplist).

Op. 2500-3000, scattered correspondence files.

Op. 3000 on, records usually include correspondence files, shipping records,
some pipemaker's records, scattered installation schedules, and blueprints.
At this point, OHS is unable to copy blueprints.

I apologize if your letter got lost in the shuffle. I would try writing to
Mr. Pinel again:  Stephen Pinel, Archivist, OHS American Organ Archives, 629
Edison Drive, East Windsor, NJ 08520 (609) 448-8427.

Elizabeth Towne Schmitt
Member, OHS American Organ Archives Governing Board