Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 09:12:55 GMT
Bill Budenholzer writes:

 > Wearing black is appropriate, I think.

How I agree. I understand that the Paramount Music Palace in
Indianapolis is due to close after Christmas. I have paid
several visits there over the past few years, and
have always enjoyed listening to a unique instrument. Although the
Wurlitzer has some characteristics which some people regard as
undesirable (in particular a very dominant tibia tremulant and
Plexiglass swell shades which act as a tone control rather than a volume
control), it was no doubt one of the better pizza instruments. It
provided a very smooth, relaxed effect, just right for pizza parlour
listening.

On 12 October Will Wu asked:

and Timothy Ticker wrote:

 > I understand Wurlitzer did some business in Europe.
and
 > Guy Bovet recently made a CD on a Wurlitzer in or near Geneva.

Before the war there were significant numbers of theatre organs in
France, Germany, Holland, Belgium and Austria, and a few in other
countries, too. Since the war Holland is the only European country
outside Britain to have had a significant theatre organ scene. In that
country there are some original installations, some transplants, and a
thriving national theatre organ club (the NOF).

Germany had some Wurlitzers and numerous home-grown instruments. In
Germany today, the von Siemens residence Wurlitzer has pride of place in
the Berlin Music Museum, and a six-rank Wurlitzer has been installed in
the Frankfurt-am-Main Film Museum. In east Berlin there survives an
original Philipps theatre organ (about 2/14)in the Babylon theatre,
though it has been out of use since about 1960. I believe restoration of
theatre and organ is now underway. There is a large Welte concert/
theatre organ in the North German Radio studios in Hamburg, and a
recently-installed 13-rank Welte in the Potsdam (near Berlin) Film
Museum. There are a few home installations, too, including a Compton
near Koblenz, a hybrid in Frankfurt and a Wurlitzer under contruction in
Celle.

Germany has a small but enthusiastic group called the 'Kino Orgel Club'
who promote concerts by (mainly) British theatre organists. The organs
used are selected from the Frankfurt Museum Wurlitzer, the Koblenz
Compton and a residence Allen. Under their care, the quality of theatre
organ maintenance and performance in Germany has become much improved.

In France there is a transplanted Christie (British-made) in a museum
near Paris. This was formerly in the Gaumont Palace Theatre in Paris. I
understand it sounds pretty awful.

The Wurlitzer in Geneva, Switzerland, is in a college hall. It was
formerly in the Granada Theatre, Clapham Junction, England, and was
probably the finest of the  late Granada-style 3/8s. It is now a shadow
of its former self. Guy Bovet did make a CD there not so long ago, and
it is an example to all of what happens when a non- theatre organist
tries to play a less-than-satisfactory theatre organ. It is AWFUL.

--John Leeming ([log in to unmask])

--
|  /   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \  | The Archimedes Bulletin Board in London |