From:
Vernon Moeller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vernon Moeller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:04:59 -0600
Colleagues:

While my initial reaction to Brian Styles' unrequited vituperation against
Ingrid was just to call him "the UK's version of Bob Melhuish" and let it be
done at that, I've decided that it's more important to bring up two points
which thus far seem to have been ignored:

1) Whether the owners of this list like it or not, it has become a place
where organists feel comfortable chatting about their concerns.  This list
is a little stricter about keeping to the subject at hand than is PIPE-CHAT,
but in both lists, I feel that openness without fear of vicious criticism is
the key to survival of this list.  Without the wide variety of personalities
who offer so much to PIPORG-L, it might as well become a simple on-line
encyclopedia of organ technology and history, with all the personality of an
IBM technical manual.  If the list owners would prefer to maintain a list
that only occasionally needs checking, this is the way to go: just provide
no protection for those who are stating their opinions or who wish to
discuss their problems in an open forum, and then let the sharks feed on the
fresh meat until only the sharks are left.  Trust me - the people who want
to chat about their problems and are seeking suggestions or even just a
little bit of sympathy will take their letters elsewhere.

2) My other point is closely related to the first, namely, that aside from a
psychologist or psychiatrist, who besides other organists and church
musicians would be interested in hearing the problems of one of their
colleagues?  I agree that Ingrid has written at length about the problems in
her church, but the membership of this list changes occasionally, and if one
group of readers does not offer her any suggestions to improve her
situation, perhaps another group will in a couple of months or so.  Besides,
how often has she offered words of wisdom and concern to those of us who
have had problems which other people (especially non-musicians) might label
'stupid'?  I have seen her show her compassionate side to many of us at one
time or another, and I feel certain that she has offered many answers to
people's problems via private email, so that the exchange of personal
thoughts is not aired openly in a community which may tire of hearing them.

Every list needs an Ingrid, and I will sorely miss her if she ever leaves.
I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion.

When I get tired of hearing about somebody's problems, and I don't have a
solution, I avoid their letters, unless they are addressed to me.

When I get tired of reading malicious drivel bent only on destroying the
reputation and feelings of someone totally undeserving such treatment, I do
what I can to make that writer's words less available to that forum, and I
strongly encourage the rest of you to do likewise.  A quick note to the
owners may influence their thinking.

Nobody on this forum should have to refrain from writing because they fear
that their words may make them the targets of 'people' like Brian Styles and
Bob Melhuish.

\/\/\