From:
Malcolm Wechsler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:04:21 EST
Dear List,

In any chapter I have belonged to, over the years, the contemplation of a
possible "Members' Recital," and often the actuality, have been something of a
giggle. I am sure it is otherwise elsewhere, but this has been my experience.
It was usually a struggle to find anyone willing to play, settling on a venue
was a diplomatic nightmare, and few if any came to hear, both chapter members
and others. This afternoon, the Waterbury and New Haven (CT) chapters perhaps
jointly defined what a "Members' Recital" can best be, and I expect to go back
to the Board of my own chapter (Fairfield West - CT) with a new regard for
this as a possible program - I've now had lessons!

The way to go: 1) Find a really interesting venue, hopefully a fine organ,
possibly one of historic interest but not much known to the membership, in
good playing condition, and in a really beautiful building.  2) Find members
prepared to play music that will add up to a program of variety and interest,
carefully prepared. 3) If at all possible, find some talented young students
who are willing to take part, and can prepare with care, aided by their
teachers. 4) Promote the program well and widely. 5) Provide informative
printed programs, and ushers to pass these out at the doors. 6) Organize a
pleasant reception, a chance for audience, performers, and friends to gather
after the event.

7) Attract an audience. Well, *I* was there, and I was hardly alone. The
church was not packed, but it had a nice full feeling. It was a healthy crowd.
This was at a really handsome 19th century church, First Unitarian-
Universalist Church, Meriden, CT, with a fine 1893 Wm. Johnson & Son three-
manual tracker organ of 31 stops. Listmember Steve Roberts wrote about both
this building and church in a posting of the 6th, so I will refer you to that,
other than to say that this Johnson organ is well-placed in a less-than-
favorable acoustic, but with great attention to scaling and voicing, it really
fills the building well, and gives a solid account of itself. I know nothing
of its repair and maintenance history, but all systems are go - it all works.
It wears its framed OHS Historical Instrument Plaque proudly and honestly,
right out front for all to see.

Eight chapter members played, and all were seasoned performers who brought
thoughtful preparation to this program. The fact that three of them are high
school students in no way changes that statement. They too took their places
on the program with the assurance of well-prepared professionals. In this
little corner of the planet, the future of organ playing seems more secure.

The program and the players:
Frederick Teardo, Senior at Crosby High School, Waterbury, student of Stephen
Roberts . . . . . Fantasy & Fugue in C Minor (BWV 537) - J. S. Bach

William Speed, O/CD Bethesda Lutheran Church, New Haven . . . . Toccata in D
Minor - Max Reger

David Chrzanowski, M/D St. Rita's Church, Hamden, CT . . . The Four Winds -
Daniel Pinkham (Premiered - Saratoga Springs, NY, 2/28/98) - Four wonderful
pieces, which I was really grateful to hear. Thank you David.

John Chipko, Freshman at St. Margaret's-McTernan School, Waterbury, organ
student of William Degan - Festival Prelude on a Theme by Palestrina (Victory)
- Dudley Buck. John is a member of PipOrg-L

William Degan, M/D First Church of Christ, New Britain, CT. . . . . On the
Coast - Dudley Buck

Jonathan Giblin, Junior at Bristol Eastern High School, organ student of Jean
Degan . . . . Toccata in D - Ralph Kinder. This was a new name to me, but he
has a large listing in my 2nd edition of Arnold - (1876-1952)

Bryan Campbell, M/D 1st Congregational, Cheshire . . . Cantabile, Symphonie VI
- Widor

Stephen Roberts, M/D S.S. Peter and Paul, Waterbury . . . Toccata in G -
Dubois. PipOrg-L member, Roberts, not Dubois!

A fine reception followed in the spacious parish hall, with some cheerful
church members present to help out. This was a great chance to meet some new
people, and to renew acquaintance with old friends not often seen. These two
AGO chapters deserve high marks for presenting this program, but also for
doing it so very well. A lot of work went into this, both on the part of
performers and in the careful planning that clearly took place. Three cheers
for all, and one cheer more for the organ.

Cheers,

Malcolm Wechsler
N. P. Mander, Ltd. - U. S. A.
www.mander-organs.com

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web  page at
http://albany.edu/~piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .