From:
Earl Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Earl Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 06:25:43 -0400
Hello everyone.

I've been following this thread about "big organ bashing" and what is
the "perfect" size organ for a church.

Sebastian has given some great input about what is needed in an organ
and what is fluff. Stephen has also contributed greatly. Many others I'm
sure know what is proper for much of the repertoire.

Sebastian said,

"If organists are designing based upon repertoire, why is it that so
many organs cannot handle so much of the repertoire because the
organists have failed to place the stops where the composers asked for
them, and expected to find them?"

I would love to see a series of instruments designed that WOULD handle
most of the repertoire.  Say starting with the smallest possible and
maybe ending with a 3 manual 60 rank instrument.

Along with these designs, a list of which stops would work for what type
of piece. Example: To register a DUO in French Classic style, one could
register is as Nivers notated,

1) Petite Tierce (Bourdon 8', Prestant, Nasard, Tierce).
   Grosse Tierce (Bourdon 16' Montre 8', Bourdon 8', Prestant, Nasard,
Doublette, Tierce).
2) Dessus - Cornet
    Basse : Trompette

I've spent quite a bit of time studying and playing Cavaille-Coll's
instruments so I understand this method of organ building. For me to
design a small church instrument in this style would be easy. But, not
every church would want this style alone.

I realize this list would require quite a bit of thought and time to
compile.  But at least those out there 1) who may not have a good
teacher at their disposal or 2) have the financial means to purchase all
the necessary books from which to learn could be educated.  Then if
placed in a position of helping a church purchase/design an organ, a
more educated decision may be possible.

For me, Bach has always been somewhat difficult to register because it
seems every teacher I've had has said something different!

Also, I've played for many different denominations but have never had
any input as to what stops were considered appropriate.  I just made it
through the service and was glad they seemed pleased with what I did!

Finally, it would be nice to have a simple document that gave the basic
registrations for each country. I'm not talking a thesis here, just some
simple guidelines.

Well, again, thanks to everyone for all the great info this list
provides.

Oh, I just want to say a special thank you to Stephen for his writings
on Cavaille-Coll's four fonds.  Also to Sebastian for his input on where
certain reed stops should be located.  I have slowly been piecing
together this info into a small book, no, not to sell, but for my quick
reference.

Thanks again!

Earl Green

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .