From:
Fran Asbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 07:04:46 EST
Some of us were commenting on the classical music sound bytes used on the
Lone Ranger, Sergeant Preston, and other old radio shows.  I wanted to
share that I thoroughly enjoyed the book <The Mystery of the Masked Man's
Music> by Reginald M. Jones Jr.; Scarecrow Press, 1987; ISBN 0-8108-1982-1.

The book tells the story of station WXYZ's quest for a repertoire of theme
and mood music for TLR and other shows, to which it would have broadcast
rights, and the obstacles thrown up by Republic Pictures, NBC, and the
Musicians' Union.  The book contains a list of all known music used in TLR,
musical excerpts, sample cue sheets, and a bibliography.

If you yearn for Those Thrilling Days of Yesteryear, you'll love the book.

Sorry, no organological tie-in whatsoever.   Fran Asbeck,   Boyds MD