From:
Mattcinnj <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mattcinnj <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 05:26:41 -0700
Hi All,

As someone whose livelyhood never has and never will have a vested interest in either pipe or electronic organs, I'm viewing the recent (and very much expected) comments in what I think is unbiased terms.

Basically my view is that the most important function of any music and any possible musical instruments / gadgets etc. in a WORSHIP "environment" is simply to enhance the worship experience.
It is also my view that the ego-centric mind set of many organists putting their own satisfaction ahead of this criteria, is totally unappropriate and detremental  to the Worship experience. Ditto for members of the Clergy.

I would hope that pipe organ builders, voicers and curators, do indeed have such an acute sense of hearing that they can detect, unfailingly, every electronic simulation of pipe organ tone. After all, that is what seperates them from the ordinary "folks" one finds attending worhip services.

Unfortunately, but true, the main criteria for those expecting to worship is that the environment be condusive to their worship experience.  This applies to everything from the color of the walls, to how the Clergy are attired .......... and very importantly .... what is reaching their ears.

It has been my observation that as long as the music does not irritate them, the typical congregation is not very fussy about how the music is created.  Anything, however that causes them to get a headache or worse is of course an annoyance ...... be it from a tone cluster "performed" either on a $2 million pipe organ, a Hammond B3, a set of $1.25 Kazzoos ... whatever.

In this context, there are very very typical worhippers who find
 is all about.