From:
Harry Martenas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 22:31:10 -0400
Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> (snip)
> One of the
> things on my list is to do something with the pedal.  Currently we
> a Bourdon 16', and it might be nice to add an 8'.  Tho options
> appear to be :-
>
> 1.      Extend the bourdon

My current church gig and my last one both had organs with an 8'
extension of the 16' Bourdon. Both of them are pretty awful. If your 16
has some definition and character, this *might* work. What do you want
to use the 8' stop for (what style of music)?

> 2.      Add an 8' open flute - with stopped bottom octave
>         ( I have pipework for this - parts of a small pedal Violone
>         + a small scaled Bourdon which I salvaged some years ago )
>
> 3.      A new rank.

I would say either option 2 or 3. Get a builder or technician to look
over your existing pipework to see if it makes sense to use it. If you
decide on a new rank, ask for list advice on what it should be - some
recent postings (Bicknell? Speller?) about Pedal stops have shown that
an amazing amount of thought goes into this subject.

Is the space available a concern? Don't forget the new offset chest
you'll probably need.

> 4.      Spend the money on something else !

Always an option. What else do you want/need?

Good luck with your project.

Harry Martenas