From:
"Glenn A. Gentry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 22:39:21 -0500
Will-
   I think you asked earlier if the Church of Christ used a "Cantor". They
sort of do, but call him a song leader. He must be musical but need not
have a strong voice (my father's father was a C of C songleader, and while
he was quite musical - a country fiddler - his voice was not strong.
Neither was my father's, nor mine, for that matter). The songleader gives
the pitch. The Church of Christ takes the New Testament quite seriously
(they give a lot of emphasis to Acts) and when it says "...they sang a
hymn..." the C of C takes that to mean that it is the obligation of
every member to sing. And sing they do.
   Many years ago I substituted in a small Lutheran church in Nashville
(TN). It had no choir, and a Kilgen approximation of the Moeller Artiste.
The congregation really sang well. I was impressed that they did so
well without a choir. They, too, took singing seriously, and as there
was noone else to do it, they did. Choirs and organs, while they may
greatly enhance congregational singing, are not actually required.

                                Glenn