From:
D Q Bellamy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 14:21:41 -0500
In a message dated 03/01/97  16:15:13, was written:

<< Nobody on this forum should have to refrain from writing because they fear
 that their words may make them the targets of 'people' like Brian Styles and
 Bob Melhuish. >>

I do hope that our good list owners are carefully watching this line of
correspondence. It seems to me that Brian and Bob are as entitled to their
response as any of the rest of us.

I was rebuked today by a fellow list member for the article "Of Silent Nights
and Cathedral Casio Tones, and Mice" which I wrote earlier. For his one
negative remark I have received many positive responses.

However, I should say that his response came in response to another which I
posted on CCM - which has been a pot boiler on this list since I arrived
here. It is my opinion (to which I am entitled) that this is a worn-out
subject to which there is no answer, short of shooting all the CCM clergy -
certainly the Gamaliel Principal is relevent in this case.

What many organists seem not to realise is that we have, as clergy, to try
all the options open to us in order to try to appeal to the vast number of
people who are un-churched. If CCM would fill my Church, brothers and
sisters, then the BOGGIS and the trad village church music, might find itself
on the way out. However, the trad stuff, whilst it may be appalling musical
doggeral to most on this list appeals to many, and is a valid act of worship.
Arguing the toss over whether CCM is good, bad or ugly is futile, because it
will continue regardless of what we think or say or do.

But to return to the point, I would ask honourable list members please to lay
off Mr Styles and Mr Melhuish and keep to topic - i.e. ORGANS. Talking
personally, I have benefitted from their correspondences on many occasions
and I'm of the view that Robert M and Brian S have as much right to their
opinion as the rest of us - they add spice to this list, which otherwise
would be frightfully dull on some occasions.

Father Q