From:
John Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:49:39 +0200
Dear List Members,

I have two ten year olds amongst my students. Most of the music they
learn I have written for them - arrangements of carols, songs etc., and
some piano pieces from the oxford Piano series. One of the boys has an
Ahlborn Galanti (full size console) at home, the other boy lives
upstairs so he practices on my Viscount. They are both enthusiastic - I
encourage them to say good morning to their fingers and feet everyday.
Fingers on the piano, feet on the organ.
Axilleas, who has been learning since he was seven, is now on the 8
short preludes and fugues - he is learning the B flat major one at the
moment. They also like jazz - there are two very good books which go
with the Oxford Piano Series, and make a good basis for improvisation as
well. I combine practical with theory and aural - not too much - 20
minutes a week. Recognising intervals and rhythmic patterns is an
important part of their musical education. Axilleas can be seen playing
the organ in my living room 3 years ago when he was 7 in the "Organs of
Interest" section of www.organsandorganistsonline.com residence organs,
Greece - Nicholas, who lives in Salonika, has only just started, but I
will add him to the gallery as soon as I have a photo.
Dr. David Rowland http://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/music/drowland.htm started
learning the organ when he was in the choir of St Thomas on the Bourne,
Farnham at the age of 11. By the age of 14 he and David Rees, another of
my choristers, had passed the ARCM performers diplomas and given
recitals at Holy Trinity, Sloane Street amongst other places.
It is never too young to start,

John Foss
www.organsandorganistsonline.com

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .