From:
Malcolm Wechsler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:18:58 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-06 08:35:45 EST, Jim Swist writes:

<< At the risk of sounding parochial, why anyone would put up with the
logistical problems of having an instrument built in Europe when
organbuilding in the US and Canada is of equal or better quality is beyond
me. >>

I think Jim's question is fair and intelligent. I will try to respond to it
similarly. There ARE superb instruments being built in this country and in
the land of our neighbor to the north. (Both in Europe and in North America,
there are also inferior instruments being built.) I don't think in this
decade the question is one of "equal or better," but just different, and
differences there are, and they exist because each artist organ builder has,
hopefully, his own genius, and his own imprint on what he and his workers
produce. It did not have to turn out the way it did, but we were entrusted
with building our instrument at St. Ignatius Loyola in New York, after Kent
Tritle, the Director of Music there, on a grant from someone in the parish,
travelled throughout the world and also the U. S., visiting organs and
workshops, and decided that what he wanted was what we do. Many other
significant instruments in this country, built by many different builders,
came to fruition after careful searches and researches by organists and
committees. Anyone attending this summer's AGO convention understands the
differences between the instruments built by a variety of builders. The new
and wonderful Taylor and Boody organ at St. Thomas' Fifth Avenue is NOT the
Klais at St. Peter's Lutheran, is NOT the Fisk at "Little Church," is NOT the
Beckerath at St. Michael's, is NOT the AEolian-Skinner at Riverside Church,
is NOT the Moller at St. Paul the Apostle, etc. etc. I am just mentioning a
few of a number of instruments in New York to which I love to listen. I
eagerly anticipate hearing Gene Bedient's new organ at Queens College,
Fernand Letourneau's soon-to-arrive instrument on the Upper West Side of
Manhattan, and also the Frobenius up in Saratoga. No two organs are alike,
thank goodness.

<< logistical problems of having an instrument built in Europe >>

There aren't any. The instrument arrives at your door as though it came from
down the street.

Malcolm Wechsler
N. P. Mander, Ltd. - U. S. A.