From:
Thomas Dressler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Dressler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 12:05:27 -0400
Wow, how quickly things can go down a difficult path.

I think Benjamin was asking a good question--how would an
organbuilder design an instrument without interference from an
organist who is so enamored of having lots of stops that he
would even unify or use electronic stops.

Kind of makes me think of a question like, "Would you rather
go for the small box of really good Crayola crayons, or would
you rather go for the extra jumbo box of mediocre, waxy,
cheap ones?" An interesting comparison, isn't it? With a small
box of good quality crayons, one can mix colors to create
more variety, whereas you might have a lot of cheap ones, but
they don't mix well. So if you're choosing the small box of
really good crayons, which well selected colors would you
choose? Depends on the kinds of pictures you're going to
create, but as long as you make some decent choices, you
can work with them. But, having the jumbo box
of Crayola crayons can be really nice!

I think we Americans have a rather fierce nationalistic pride, and
will react quickly when a discussion moves into the realm of
nationalistic criticism. There probably are many things to
criticize about us as well as many things we can be very proud
of. However this discussion about organ design and size
probably should not go down that path. If the playing field were
level and organists and churches in other countries had all the
resources available to them that rich churches here have, one
wonders what kinds of buildings and instruments would be
built. There might be cultural differences that affect the
resources available, but I believe that the search for artistic
quality and beauty is without borders and all cultures and races,
given the same musical goals, would embark on a similar
journey, making similar mistakes and having similar triumphs.
If intrinsic differences exist, it can only be to our advantage
as a whole to share the good ones we might possess with
one another.

The assumption made by Benjamin, that all organists want
more and more stops is not true; and the more personalized
part, that since Americans can be excessive, they are even
worse, is also not true, at least not in general.

I'm an American organist, but I am quite happy playing a 4-rank
Tannenberg. I have also played on 4-rank, unified, "organs"
with many stops that made me want to barf. I'm very much in
the camp of the small box of Crayola crayons, but I think the
organ at St. Ignatius Loyola in New York is wonderful--even
just to look at! On the other hand, many of the large (even
not unified good examples) organs I, personally, could do
without, though that's just my personal preference. I can be
quite happy with around 25-30 stops, and fewer can be fine
too as long as they're well chosen. I could play all day on a really
good 8' Principal and be happy, since a really good one allows
you to have infinite variety based on how you play it. Rather
than yanking stop knobs, I like to focus on varying touch.
If I had a million dollars to spend on an organ, I'd much rather
give it all for one really good 8' Principal and a sensitive action
than for lots of stops. However, if I came across a builder who
would lovingly create many wonderful, sensitive, musical stops
that work together and fill all the requirements of traditional
organ design, I'd be as happy as a kangaroo! (I've never
been to Australia, but I'm assuming kangaroos are happy--at
least I'd jump for joy like one!) :)

Thomas Dressler

http://www.thomasdressler.com

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .