From:
Diez Eichler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 10:35:34 -0400
Concerning accidentals in Froberger there is a question about Toccata I in
a (if you prefer: FbWV 101...), bar 30 (I prefer the counting in semibreve
bars; in Rampes edition it is bar 14 - this matter is not to be discussed
now), in the bass.
In the manuscript of Libro 2° (1649) and also in SA4450 you will find the b
quadratum ("Auflösungszeichen") going with the note d.
Wollny transcribes that by a sharp (#) without comment - which is no
example of good edition. In the Howard-Schott-Edition it is also written as
#, but with a footnote, saying, that the b quadratum meant # "dans la
notation de l'époque" - which I have never seen before.
It is interesting that Froberger used the b quadratum very rare in Libro 2°.

Why is it used here? And also in the "copy" manuscript SA4450!

Playing d sounds not very good to my ears, but it could be that Froberger
uses the b quadratum to confirm the archaic sound.

How do you play it, and why?