From:
Bill Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2016 11:38:35 +0100
yes, PVAc glues creep. It is not a fairie tale.
In the 60ies, I stored a leftover piece of spruce, glued up from two very dissimilar boards, upstairs in the woodshed. they were glued either with Mowicoll (a german brand long since gone) or Rakoll. One of the two pieces was what we call Druckholz, i.e. from trees grown with very one-sided load from wind or steep terrain. This wood shrinks in ALL directions. Good only for kindling. Anyway, much later, mid 70ies, I stumbled across this leftover.
The Druckholz had shrunk about 5mm, leaving a sharp-edged step on one end.
BUT the glue joint was intact. Time period: 10 years.
That is creep.
Apart from that, in the last 50years I have seen to many pieces glued with PVAc that have literally fallen apart, probably due to creep, maybe also to temperatures.
 Martin and I were just looking through photos of different modern instruments - no names 👎) with wretched out hitchpin rails, crept laminations etc etc etc one particularly crummy example by a would-be continental "professional" from 1986.
like I said, it is not hearsay or fairie tale.

Bill