From:
Jon-o Addleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:54:27 -0500
On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:32:24PM -0500, Brad Lehman spake thusly:
> None of this is to imply that doing it with electronics gets any lesser
> results.  But I'm interested in the hands-on learning experience to see how
> the strategic thinking goes, without any device other than a single
> fork.  Anybody out there DO this stuff, or am I just eccentric?

I've been working on it quite a bit, though I'm still not particularly
accurate with setting specific sizes of 5ths completely by ear. I can
generally get pretty close to 1/6-comma (since valotti is by far the
most requested temperament) and if I've been doing a lot of 1/4 meantone
tuning, that size usually gets relatively easy, though I usually need to
fiddle with the fifths to get them the right size there.

It seems this is the hardest part (for me) - getting used to the
different sizes of intervals to the point where I can set them
accurately without another reference. Anyone have any suggestions for
training to develop this skill?

--
Jon-o Addleman