From:
Judith Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:26:43 -0400
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Jonathan Rhodes Lee wrote:

> I floated around the festival for about 4 days.  Almost everything I
> heard and saw was spectacular.  Mikko Soronen (erg, can't quite remember
> the correct spelling of his name) gave fantastic improvisations at "Clavichord
> Day" at the Boston Museum of art.

That would be Professor Mikko Korhonen, of the Sibelius Academy, well
north of Helsinki. It was a delight to meet him. And it was the Boston
Museum of FINE ArtS, known locally as the MFA. I am sorry I missed the day
there, logistics got in the way. As I keep saying, festivals were so much
fun back when I was an onlooker from the outside instead of a participant.

> upon a 16th century clavichord of questionable origin

This would be 'the clavichord formerly known as a Tosi'. Locally, we are
very fond of it, and the people I talked to afterwards who had been to the
lecture seemed unconvinced that it really needed to be renamed. It occurs
to me that this small sampling of people included someone who builds a
copy if it (there is a plan published) and therefore would have to
reprint his brochures, so he may not have been unbiased. Does anybody have
a good suggestion for a respectable name we should now be using for it?
'16th century clavichord of questionable origin' makes it sound like it
belongs in a whorehouse.

Judy