From:
worldschmitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:02:35 -0000
That's very useful.

I think the notion of 'schools' is a red herring.   We do have notions of
certain practices, but they do not neatly divide by geography and time or
even by individual. That's why I mention Bach,
who fits into many different notions of fingering.  Bach was an amazing
player, according
to contemporary accounts, because whatever he did, worked.
I do remember being told that using your thumb and passing it under are two
different
things; one can finger 1234 1234 without passing the thumb under.

On a similar note, organists often err by playing too smoothly with not
enough 'air' between strong beats.  This is an aesthetic that I don't share,
and
I suppose a valid performance practice for a particular era- just not the
era I'm
trying to evoke!

Micaela Schmitz