From:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:15:29 -0500
Hi folks! Me again! Jay McCarty wrote:

>Peter!! Spending thousands won't do it!!! You have to spend tens of
>thousands!!!! The most nearly accurate reproduction of the Colmar
>Ruckers
>I've ever heard was on a system costing approximately $150,000
>US!!!!!
>
>If you haven't heard such a system, you're simply not entitled to
say
>it can't be done.

I give in!  But I have no idea what the guy I spoke of paid - he was
pretty well-heeled - but to me anything costing a thousand is unreal!
And I'm so tight by nature I am sure that were I in the Bill Gates
income bracket I still wouldn't spend that much money on such a
system!  In any case it would be cheaper to buy myself a Lear Jet and
fly around the world to hear the real thing any time I wanted!!!!!

 But then I probably wouldn't! I am totally reactionary by nature. I
look back fondly to when I had no electricity or plumbing - I'd love
to live that way again, but I'd never be allowed to I fear!!!  I'm
happy without TV or radio so it wouldn't be a hardship. The only
thing is I'm used to  air conditioning now, and I can no longer stand
the summers the way I once did. Indeed, I used to believe firmly that
one couldn't properly enjoy harpsichord music in a modern setting,
but hot, sticky evenings are a bit much any more!

Oh - yes - cutting up wood by hand for an instrument is bloody hard
work!

Best!

Peter Redstone
http://www.ctg.net/redstone