From:
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:40:25 -0500
From Charles Ferguson's translation:

Bone is preferable for organ manuals because it is harder and thus lasts longer. Leg-bones of oxen are used, being sawn in strips as wide as the keys. In Paris, these strips may be bought for 3 _sous_ apiece, but in the provinces, unless they can be sent from Paris, they must be made. They are roughed out with saw and rasp. Before finishing, they are bleached as follows.

In a skillet, slake a lump of quicklime the size of a fist. When the lime is slaked and reduced to a paste, add about 2 _pintes_ (3 or 4 _livres_) of water, and a bit of powdered alum. When all are well-mixed, put the bone in and place the skillet on the fire. After it has boiled for two or three minutes at the most, remove from the fire; when the water has cooled somewhat, skim it gently and thoroughly. Let the contents cool, then remove the bone and wash it with fresh water. Let it cool slowly; if it dry too rapidly, in a warm place or in the sun, it will crack. Note also that if the bone be boiled longer than I have indicated, it will burn or char, and be spoiled.

When the bone is thoroughly dry, it must be finishede. One side is dressed with a serrated plane. The caps are dressed to the exact width of the keys. Both ends are squared, and the caps pressed into a wooden jig which holds them while they are planed first with the serrated plane, then with the ordinary plane. The jig enables the workman to make the caps uniform in thickness. When finished, they are glued in place on the panel, with the roughened side down. They are covered first with paper, then with a folded rag. Then a bar or beam is laid on, as thick as the caps are long. When the glue is quite dry, the caps are planed with a _straight_ plane or an ordinary plane with the iron reversed, and they are carefully smoothed. Next. using the scale, all the lines which were covered are scribed on the caps. As preferred, a few other lines, heavy or light, may bescribed along the caps, to imitate mouldings, about as shown in Pl. XL,, Fig. 1.

[then he goes on to discuss the different procedure with ebony.]

> "Having followed Dom Bedos
> directions to make bone in a large quantity"
>
> Where can I find those instructions? Is this source available online for
> everybody?

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Please send emails to
rodneym (AT) alumni (DOT) tufts (DOT) edu
with obvious corrections.