From:
Bill Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:02:51 +0100
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:58:01 -0500, Peter Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> You should note that screws, even those used with polished brass
>> straphinges, were always iron.

Right. Indeed I have never seen brass screws from before the second
half of the 19th.c. and even then, the flathead screws in tape hinges
were always blued steel.

I have uploaded a few .jpgs of old screws.
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/Temp/old_screws/small%20hinge.jpg
"small hinge" shows typical small flatheads for hinges. Note the chased
thread on an entirely tapered shaft and relatively small head.
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/Temp/old_screws/like_Stein.jpg
"like Stein" shows the sort of screw, albeit 50 years older in this
case, that Stein used for his front batten. Note clearly hand-forged
shaft and hand-filed thread.
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/Temp/old_screws/1740.jpg
"1740" shows a smaller roundhead and a large cylinderhead of the type
used to hold down organ toeboards -  when they weren't nailed that is
or wooden screws were used. Handmade and from the same ±1740 source as
the previous screw. This particular organbuilder, Johann Adam Ehrlich,
used wooden screws. So did "my hero" Johann Viktor Gruol.
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/Temp/old_screws/flathead.jpg
"flathead" shows  a typical flathead close up. Note the bevel on the
edge of the head; hed were always left standing proud by the size of
the bevel. Note also the slightly convex face of the head and in
particular the very narrow slot.