Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 12:26:23 -0700
At 01:50 PM 5/3/2007 -0400, stuart wrote:

I was surprised to learn recently that my son-in-law, who plays bass
trombone in a Navy Band, learned figured bass in third semester music
theory, and uses it as a pedagogical tool in coaching young recruits.

That might be consistent with what Stuart says here, but it surprised me
nonetheless--I didn't realize it was still out there, in what appears to be
"main stream" music, if you count wind music (military band, concert band,
jazz, rock, Dixie, etc.).

JB