From:
Patrick Frye III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 11:20:50 -0400
Hi--

Please, if you could, what is the historiography of this one surviving
piece?
I want to see if the documentation of what exists is even just a few notes
of William IX, what notes, why and how one defends those beliefs that they
are his.In other words, what essence is in the fragment that one can
consider William IX's oeuvre.
Obviously....I will have to extrapolate a lot from this fragment and design
a good vehicle for a harpsichord work or possibly a dance suite or group of
laments...this will depend upon the notes themselves.Certainly, as the
harpsichord is more a later medieval conception, this 13th century fragment
you speak of may be more valuable to me that first glance might appear.

His art was bawdy and his poems I have read, as far as I am able to discover
what is available.
I have a bit of experience with the music of the period of the Crusades, so
reviving character and style, I have a group of models I can reassure myself
are fairly authentic.

I may be doing a 21st century quasi-equivalent to a keyboard Missa like "L
homme Arme' "
BUT I am driven to compose this!

Patrick Frye III

Composer/Performer/Teacher