From:
Robert Lorenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2016 19:34:36 -0400
Tom, I was told a relative humidity between 40% and 60% would be optimal by both the builder and a mention in Kottick’s “The Harpsichord Owner’s Guide”.  I live in Maine, so humidity is VERY low in the winter and high in the summer. I experimented with various humidifiers and dehumidifiers which allow you to set the relative humidity target. Unfortunately, I found them all to be extremely inaccurate to such an extent as to be useless.

I wanted a "set it and leave it" solution. I purchased a humidity controller from a company in Canada called ThermoMart. Here’s a link to the actual item….

Moisture Humidity Controller Hygrometer Electronic Humidistat Control Switch for Relative Humidity level of Greenhouse Incubator Greenery Curing Chamber Greenhouse Incubator Dehumidifire Humidifier Home Basement storage house Damp Garage Attic <http://www.thermomart.com/humidity-control-System-Thermostat-measure-hygrometer>

I have found this to be spot on. It has quite a few control settings, including one to calibrate the actual humidity reading. I have mine calibrated and set to turn on at 49% and off at 52%. Being on the far side of the room, away from the instrument, the readings at the instrument are usually between 50% and 52%. The controller turns power on and off as necessary, so all you do is wire it to its own outlet which it sends power to as necessary. The unit has a humidify or dehumidify setting.. so when I set it to dehumidify it turns on at 52% and off at 49%. Most importantly I have a “dead time” set to 5 minutes so that it won’t turn on again for at least 5 minutes, thus avoiding frequent on-offs which destroy dehumidifier compressors.

Once you’ve gone to the work of wiring the unit, which is a straightforward task, (I’m not an electrician by any means) it runs itself. My harpsichord is happy to report a temperature variance of 2 degrees and a humidity variance of 3% in the last 7 months.

-Bob Lorenz