From:
Domenico Statuto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:37:43 +0100
Dear listers,
first of all, thanks a lot to our list owner, David Kelzenberg, for having allowed me to post this announcement.

I am selling my antique harpsichord, here described. As pictures are not allowed in the mail list, I’ll post this announcement on the Facebook page of the group as well, here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105770778087/?fref=ts, with some photos. More photos can be found in the restoration report by the renowned maker and curator for the Castello Sforzesco (Milan) harpsichord instruments museum, Augusto Bonza (www.augustobonza.it).

- Italian false inner-outer.

- Dated and signed on the wrestplank “Nicolaus de Quoco Fecit Anno MDCXCIX”, i.e. 1699.

- 45-notes, short octave, C/E-c3.

- 2 x 8’.

- strung in brass.

- quilled in bird’s quill.

The harpsichord, which I own since August 1998, is largely untouched safe for the restoration I commissioned and was done in 1998-1999 by Augusto Bonza. It retains 26 original jacks (the others were lost). The missing jacks were redone by Augusto Bonza, signed and dated AB 1999, to clearly distinguish the modern from the originals.

The guide woodslips in the rear of the keys were missing and were redone.

The jackrail was missing and redone. Everything else is original. More details in the 47-pages restoration report.

The De Quoco 1699 has been used in concerts and in one commercial recording: “Il cembalo intorno a Gesualdo”, playing Paola Erdas (XVI-century harpsichord music from Italy and Spain). You can listen to excerpts here:
https://play.spotify.com/album/7kW3ZSWZQiXkK1ViHQFljn?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

or here (click on the single track to listen to 30 seconds excerpts):
http://www.amazon.it/Valente-Il-cembalo-intorno-Gesualdo/dp/B00B6R7XU6.

Or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9QGegNunUE and here: http://www.augustobonza.it/music/valente.mp3.

There is at least one more De Quoco, privately owned, dated 1698, an exact twin of this one (I saw it before restoration). Moreover, I was told the mouldings of my De Quoco have the same profile of the De Quoco 1694 held in the Smithsonian Institution, but I wasn’t able to check.

The mouldings profile are exactly drawn in the restoration report, though, so the checking should be fairly simple.

Please note: the harpsichord is not playing due to a single problem consisting in the ungluing of the treblemost portion of the soundboard moulding, which bears the hitchpins. The liner is however firmly in place so the repair of the moulding should be fairly simple and fast.

On the facebook page of the group you will see a photograph of the unglued moulding.

Everything else is fine.

The harpsichord can be seen and inspected in my house in Caserta, near Naples, Italy.

For any other information, photos, price requested etc., please write me privately at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Best regards,
Domenico