Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:46:21 -0500

Dear List:While I was there in the late 70s, WFB came to UNC-CH to give a talk to some of us poli.sci. types. At lunch, I was introduced by my prof, a Castro refugee and authoritarian-regimes boffin who'd helped arrange the visit. When my teacher let drop that I was just out of the service but had studied harpsichord and organ before that, WFB spent the next 10 minutes asking me about that and talking about the hpschd, to the point where other peoples' eyes were glazing over. While I still didn't altogether get the man's politics, what a different impression it gave me of this very gracious and (yes) unpretentious man. My prof confided later that he'd done it to give his guest a respite from the buffet line of aspiring Marxists.
Paul Masser
--- On Wed 02/27, Michael Smith &lt; [log in to unmask] &gt; wrote:
From: Michael Smith [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:49:03 -0500Subject: Obit BuckleyHarpsichord fan William Buckley has fallen off the perch. Anybody have recollections of the guy?

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.