Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:23:23 +0100
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:51:19 -0500, Nicholas Bunning
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Someone (the school's
> priest)  suggested that I play something by Chevalier de Saint-
> Georges.  apparently he was a black harpsichordist in an eighteenth
> century french court??  Anyone know where i can get something thats
> playable on the harpsichord ..  his dates seem a little late....
> maybe more fortepiano?   -   anyway  harpsichord will have to do,
> Any suggestions really welcomed.... and if anyone has any leads on
> some printed music by this Saint-Georges guy I'd be grateful.  Sadly
> i need it yesterday.

The following link gives a lot of biographic info about Saint-George.
He mostly seems to have written for piano/harpsichord and violin. Can't
see anything for harpsichord solo.

http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestead.com/Page1.html

The following is available from Minkoff, and could well be playable on
solo harpsichord, like the Boismortier sonatas for harpsichord and
obbligato flute.

Saint-George, J. Boulogne, Chevalier de. — Trois sonates pour le
clavecin ou le forte-piano avec accompagnement de violon obligé. Ier
œuvre de clavecin. Réimpression de l’édition de Paris, Le Duc, 1781.
Genève, 1988. 1 volume in-4 de 32 pages et un fascicule de 8 pages
encarté, broché. (Clav. fr. XVIIIe. Tome XXV) ISBN
2-8266-0483-X                        FS 45.–  / € 32.-

I suspect the following from Artaria are the same sonatas.

http://www.artaria.com/SystemLink_Summary_O23

Cheers

Chris Cartwright