From:
Davitt MORONEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2017 02:07:02 +0100
Dear Andrew,

I appreciate your comments. And agree with you -- mostly.

I disagree about "false facts" being one of the "horrid new terms". As I
mentioned earlier, "false facts" is a phrase from the last chapter of
Charles Darwin's *Descent of Man* (1871), so it has a solid pedigree -- and
the warning it implies is just as solid. Darwin's Victorian certainties
can't be the same as our hopes and dreams today. After all, he was writing
at a time when evolutionary theories were also alive and well in music.
Wagner and Brahms were seen as the evolutionary perfect versions of
imperfect earlier styles, just as the late nineteenth-century pianos were
seen as the evolutionary perfect versions of earlier keyboards. I think
most people on this list probably don't hold that approach to be valid. But
that's not a reason to throw out Darwin.

It's worth citing him again, in full, to give him the credit he's due -- no
more, no less. What Darwin wrote was:
"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they
often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do
little harm, for everyone takes a salutary pleasure in proving their
falseness; and when this is done, one path towards error is closed and the
road to truth is often at the same time opened"

So I accept your point. I should have written "false views" not "false
facts." Thank you for pointing that out.

Professor Neumann and his followers are certainly entitled to their views.
By no means everyone agrees with them. When it comes to pleasure, that's of
course a more personal matter. Many of us find some pleasure on this list
in doing exactly what Darwin said (although I'm not sure the pleasure is
always salutary). As for the rest, the "path" we're on etc., I like to
think we're all side-by-side walking in our own ambling ways along the road
to some sort of truth, but of course we're all still a long way from any
goal... assuming such a fixed goal really exists. And the path is, I hope,
covered with ornaments of all sorts. There's a place of Neumannian
ornaments for those who choose to support those views... But I choose to
walk on the other side of the road (most of the time).

​As for Charmand/Marchand, I'm sending a separate message on that.​

With all best wishes,
DM

*Davitt Moroney​​Professor Emeritus Department of Music*

*Morrison Hall*

*​University of California, Berkeley​CA 94720-1200*