From:
David Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:14:12 -0400
Hi David

Alas, the good old days of taking the instrument to the freight counter at
the airport are gone. Convenience is way down, and prices are way up.

Just a few observations regarding shipping and moving harpsichords from the
viewpoint of 35 years of shipping my harpsichords.

FedEx offers ground service for large objects such as double manual
harpsichords, though it is likely the instrument will be farmed off to a
contracted carrier. It is, no doubt, quite an expensive thing to do.
Selected FedEx stores are capable of making double wall corrugated
cardboard shipping boxes; expect a price around $150 upwards for that
service. When specing the box, ensure that you provide for an inch to two
inches for polystyrene beadboard to tightly fit between the inside of the
box and the outside of the instrument. Make sure the Instrument is very
tightly contained in the box - no shifting allowed for the instrument or
any of its associated parts such as stand components.

I do not advise shipping an instrument in its cover inside the crate
because it is very difficult top get the fit tight enough to prevent
shifting. Also, contact your shipping firm to get their take on providing
space on the box's bottom side for a forklift's tines, i.e., making the
bottom surface like a shipping pallet. Different companies have different
rules.

While it makes certain sense to keep the box or crate for future moves,
keep in mind that the box is going to be huge, two to four inches longer,
wider and thicker. Kind of like having a spare, non-functioning
refrigerator in the spare bedroom. An advantage of a wood crate is that it
can be stored flat if it is completely taken apart. this is a good excuse
to have a spare power drill with appropriate bits to do the unscrewing
work.

Lastly, get your own shipping insurance before putting it in the hands of
the carrier.

-dpj