From:
Roger Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:12:29 +0100
But it is stiffness that is the fundamental problem. Because it is proportional
to the width, diameter or whatever the lateral dimension is CUBED of the
vibrating body a small increase in d/l will produce three times the effect
'inharmonicity'-wise (don't let's get into the definitions of that again).
(Oh! for the 'light,inextensible, perfectly flexible strings of my applied
mechanics schooldays!)

RJC,
Edinburgh.

--