From:
Davitt MORONEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:00:55 +0100
I have been thinking about this for a couple of days and have come to the
conclusion that it's more complicated than at first appears.

The musical thoughts of any performer are essentially polyphonic, by which
I am not referring to the musical style of polyphony, but rather to the
fact that a lot happens at once (rather than sequentially).

Just as an exercise, I tried this morning to write down some of the guiding
thoughts that go consciously through my head -- very rapidly, of course --
as I play the first four measures of the "Aria" of the "Goldberg
Variations." It took me more than half an hour (and a text of nearly two
pages) to get down even a rough first approach to the things I like to have
in mind when performing those four measures as well as I would like to. So
the verbal communication covered two pages and took 30 minutes, but the
musical communication covers one line and takes less than ten seconds.

Musical intelligence really is on a quite different level from mere verbal
intelligence. The thoughts flash through the mind like in one of those
accelerated movies that shows you 1000 images in 60 seconds -- and even
that simile is wrong, because those movies happen sequentially, unless (as
with more modern film makers) they give us a split screen with several
images at once. (As with some of the faster sections of the 1982 Godfrey
Reggio and Philip Glass movie *Koyaanisqatsi*.)

The long-held myth that we  only use a small portion of our brain has been
fully debunked. I have the (utterly non scientific) feeling that whenever I
am playing -- and especially in a concert -- there are usually a great many
bits of my brain that are all  lighting up at once. It may be stressful
sometimes, but it's definitely about being fully alive.

Musical thought is not only very rapid and complex, but we need to be
thinking many of these very rapid and complex thoughts, all at the same
time. Trying to translate this process into words -- which cannot be done
polyphonically but must be written down sequentially, monophonically -- is
a frustratingly time-consuming exercise. And the result, I confess, looks
somewhat silly. "All that, just for the first four measures?" Well, yes,
all that and quite a lot more as well. If I don't go into the real details,
I don't get down what I'm in fact controlling and "doing" as I play; and if
I do try and go into the details, then it comes out looking like an
extraordinary surfeit of micro-management.

Performance is partly about this wonderful skill of micro-management, at
very high speed, of very many musical things all at once. Words and the
language of verbal grammar and syntax seem such a truly inadequate medium
for encapsulating that amazingly complex skill.

When I teach masterclasses, I often get to the end of a session with a
player who seems to have improved and learned something, but I find that I
am left with the disappointing impression that I've communicated only about
2% of what actually goes on in my mind as I play the piece.

Some teachers prefer to teach with two keyboards in the room, side by side,
one for the student and one for the teacher, and to use as few words as
possible. It is teaching by hands and fingers rather than by translating
into another medium, words. If  we can teach the language of music through
just the language of music, we can end up teaching some rather different
things, but also not teaching others... I think much modern musical
pedagogy has a tendency to become too verbal.

The proof: this long message!

Best wishes,
DM

*Davitt Moroney​​Professor Emeritus Department of Music*

*Morrison Hall*

*​University of California, Berkeley​CA 94720-1200*