From:
Jonathan Addleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2016 08:16:58 -0500
To change the subject a little bit, we're all used to tuning to "415",
but how many of you actually use 415 vs 415.3? It's a small difference,
but, in the all-too-common case of university instruments that have to
transpose back and forth without retuning, tuning to 415 leaves you
under 440 - certainly not desirable, especially when much of the
'modern' crowd seems expects 441 or 442 these days.

With that in mind, I usually tune to 415.3, and never get complaints
about the pitch being too high. But it certainly is a small difference.
For that matter, do instrument builders - flutes and recorders I mean -
factory-tune their instruments to 415 or 415.3 typically?

Or am I just splitting hairs here - it certainly is a small difference..
Half the time for concerts I have to tune to 418 anyway, since the stage
lights will cook the harpsichord down before the first chord is played!
And I don't know of any instrument here in Montreal that's stored
somewhere with a stable enough climate to avoid wandering .3Hz...

Curious what others do, and whether it has ever become an issue?

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Addleman - http://www.redowl.ca