Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 15:39:29 -0700
At 01:54 PM 5/3/2007 -0700, Owen wrote:

I guess I can respond to the "public" part of this post.  After I posted
the thing about figured bass, I got curious about some of the details of
what the son-in-law told me, and eventually found a discussion on Wikipedia
under Chord (music) that talks about various notation systems.  In the
paragraph about figured bass, it says it is used nowadays mostly to notate
chord analysis, and I think that is probably what the SOL uses it for, in
an educational context.  He showed me some examples of taking JSB chorals
with written out bass line and "analyzing" the bass using figured bass
notation.  I think it would be good to learn how to do that, and I will put
it on the "to do" list.  He claims it has the same information as "charts"
that pop musicians use.

Wiki in that same article also talks about "charts" which it says is what
many pop musicians use to indicate chord progressions and their timing with
respect to the melody line.  I have known about that for a long time and
never bothered to learn about the details of that either.  I wonder if it
evolved independently of figured bass.

These are among the handicaps associated with playing primarily a melody
instrument, and reading fully realized music.

JB