From:
David Bedlow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Bedlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2017 23:41:04 +0000
J. Claudio Di Veroli" on 27/12/2017 16:43:15 wrote:

... My alternatives: 1) Bring the improved readings from Henle onto the
older Bärenreiter....  2) Bring the fingerings over from the older
Bärenreiter into Henle: this
would be the best policy, if it was not for the Theopold fingerings
printed all over the place.... 3) Buy a THIRD edition, with a text as
good as Henle but without any printed fingerings.... Dear colleague:
what would you do, and why?

Claudio, I would correct the Baerenreiter edition from Henle, my primary
reason being the easier page turns.

I have been playing Buxtehude's organ music from the Hedar (Hansen)
edition for going on 50 years but had suspicions about several passages.
When the Belotti edition of the free organ works came out I discovered
that there was a copy in the music library of Trinity College (the only
copy in Ireland, I think). Anyway, despite having no academic education,
I managed to get a reader's ticket to study this new edition. So far as
I remember, Belotti is not dogmatic but offers possible solutions to
suspect passages; however almost all of his solutions made sense to me.
Apart from the (then) huge cost of this edition there seemed to be some
practical considerations which would make it difficult to play from. So
I made a thorough comparison of the two editions, making notes of all
the changes. I then went home and patched the revised readings into the
Hansen edition, either writing in the changes by pen, or in the case of
more extensive passages sticking stamp paper over the original staves
and over-writing the revised version. It was time well spent and I still
play from this edition.

Sorry for the delay replying. I caught a fever a week before Christmas
when visiting my daughter and grandchildren in England - in fact, I
caught the fever from my grandson, who caught it at school. We only just
about made it in one piece to the ferry-port for the sailing home, then
took to our beds. I crawled out of bed on Christmas Eve and again on
Christmas Day to play the organ, and went back to bed as soon as I got
home again. Now I am almost recovered and am trying to learn an organ
arrangement of Elgar's Nimrod variation for a funeral on Saturday. After
eliminating as many octave doublings it is just about manageable. It is
too cold to go out, so I am practising it on the harpsichord (tuned to
modified 1/4 comma meantone) using early fingering (no editorial
fingerings on the copy, luckily). I have to play this, because the
deceased wanted it and he was the father of a former work colleague I
was, and still am, on good terms with, but I wonder would they notice if
I played Brahms's Es ist ein Ros' instead?

Happy Christmas - there is still more than a week left.

    -  David Bedlow

---
http://www.avg.com