From:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:10:54 +0000
Hi folks! Michael Johnson wrote:

>My work is inspired by the masters I respect from the past  but is
of
>this century and I personally would not be happy going down the road
>of exact copy; what does that mean anyway?   The reason why this
simple
>me has settled for Flemish is, I consider the design factor amongst
the
>best and I do like the earthy sound of those beautiful instruments.
>The exercise is to enjoy and admire the work of the past but realise
you
>are now and hopefully will be in a position to give something to the
>future.

But Michael, I have NEVER advocated copying exactly!  In any case
such is impossible - we always impose ourselves on any instrument we
build. Plus, of course no two trees are alike, which alone makes
exact copying absurd.

But your approach to instrument making is absolutely on-target!

What I was _trying_ to say is that we ought to know how different
phosphorus-iron wire sounds from the wire available today. Once we
know that we can decide whether the added expense of authentic wire
is justified.  My suspicion is it will be, especially since it
doesn't rust.  And since I honestly don't believe we can trust out
rather subjective ears, soulless and infallible electronic analysis
is essential.

But I may be wrong!

Best!

Peter Redstone,