From:
Andrew Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 02:25:31 +1100
Hi Mustafa,

Not all harpsichords had soundholes and roses or rosettes. Of those that
did, mostly they were purely for decoration or identification of the maker.
It has been shown often that a soundhole in a harpsichord soundboard makes
virtually no difference to the sound output or quality. Harpsichord
cavities are generally open at the belly rail end - although, as with all
things related to harpsichord - this is not always so. But the belly rail
opening is so large that the cavity is effectively open to the air, and
this is why a rose makes only the tiniest, unobservable really, difference.
Speaker cabinet theory only applies to the harpsichord cavity very slightly.

I believe the word you are looking for from the hifi world is soundstage,
rather than scene. Certainly the concept of soundstage does not really
apply to harpsichords - its more a term to describe how well a stereo
system presents the illusion of musicians spread out in space, or on a
stage. [Although when playing I enjoy the spatial effect of hearing the
sound at the keyboard com from the different areas of the instrument.]

There's a lot ot be said about soundholes and their function in lutes and
guitars, but this is a harpsichord forum, so I wont digress, only to say
that in those instruments the function of the hole is quite important, but
the parchment roses are again pretty much purely decorative - and modern
guitars have none.

Andrew

On 16 November 2017 at 00:51, Mustafa Umut Sarac <[log in to unmask]