From:
Anne Acker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2017 15:56:07 +0000
Totally agree with Dongsok. Hubbard kits, especially those with the case built at the factory, are good solid instruments. In contrast, have made good money repairing Bizzi harpsichords, problems caused likely by unseasoned wood, quick assembly, and so forth.

As to the jacks, it depends upon which ones. They last quite a while. I would definitely stock up on some of the replacement tongues while they are still available. In time, you will want to invest in wooden jacks and new jack guides. Plectra of course need replacement in time. if quite a few start to break, then its time to replace them all.

Another issue with the plastic jacks is warping, but, inspired at my local optometrist's, watching them adjust glasses frames, i have had very good luck heating sand in a metal can in the oven, plunging the jack into the hot sand for a short while and then flattening the jacks back out by hand or at worst clamping to a flat surface. Just have the clamps, etc, already to go.

AA