From:
David Hitchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 10:16:46 +0000
There was an objection to CDV's recommendation for graphic
equalisers, on the grounds that a good system should be perfectly flat.

That theory should be right providing that the listener is using
headphones, or, if using loudspeakers is in an anechoic room (which I
have heard is psychologically unsettling). Otherwise the most
non-linear part of the system is the listening room - yes, that is
part of the system!

Every part of a system has some distortion. Amplifiers introduce very
little, transducers introduce much more. There is no way to eliminate
all of it, but it can be minimised. What matters is not so much what
can be measured by test instruments, but the subjective effect  on
the listener. Intermodulation distortion can be painful, harmonic
distortion less so, and some people like or at least tolerate systems
with a lot of second harmonic distortion - a sort of acoustic octave
coupler that brightens the sound.

Some people object to CDs because while their distortion is very low,
it is of an unpleasant nature. LPs and their transducers have much
higher levels of distortion, but are very much in favour, perhaps
because the distortion is perceived as enhancing the sound.

So, to the slightly uneven responses of loudspeakers we have to add
the much larger effect of the listening room resonances. When they
are taken into account, the response at the listener's seat may be
very uneven. Equalisers may help to bring the total effect closer to linearity.

Having said all of that, it is unrealistic to expect the result to be
close to the original sound. What we are concerned with is whether
the sound of an instrument recorded in its own acoustic can be
matched by reproduced sound in another acoustic. Tests of
loudspeakers and live performers behind curtains were once popular
and blind testing can distinguish between what people hear and what
they think that they can hear. It is certainly not possible to switch
the listener blind between home and hall acoustics.

There is also the question of loudness. Do we play music at home at
the same volume that we hear it at a concert? We know that the human
ear has an irregular sensitivity at different frequencies
(Fletcher-Munson and all that) and that changing the volume changes
the perceived balance between frequencies. That was what the now
unfashionable "loudness" controls tried to deal with. CDV's graphic
equaliser can do better than that.

In the end, scientific accuracy is not the goal, but what the
educated listener enjoys. Obsession with high fidelity can become an
aim in itself with music used  only to demonstrate equipment. As
George Ives advised his son Charles, " Don't pay too much attention
to the sounds - for if you do, you may miss the music."

David