From:
Lee Ridgway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:57:30 -0500
Last night, listening to WHRB, the Harvard FM station which for
several years has been the Boston area's best classical (and jazz)
station, the DJ announced a recording of Handel's Suite in g, "played
on harp-is-chord by Sophie Yates". Yes, that pronounciation, so often
used by us harpsichordists' when joking-around. I just about dropped
a fresh-cooked pot of rice pilaf on the kitchen floor. And then the
announcer said it again, just before starting the CD!

Granted, just about all the announcers on HRB are Harvard students,
and although most of them do know a thing or two about music, we do
occasionally hear some truly butchered pronounciations from these
kids, usually of names or titles in languages other than English. But
this was a first.

Someone must have called while the music was playing, or else the
announcer looked more closely at the CD notes, because in the after-
announcement, she pronounced "harpsichord" correctly.

Lee Ridgway
Boston