From:
Jonathan Addleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:26:11 -0500
Bill Jurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:08:40 -0500, Jonathan Addleman wrote:
>>  How did Ruckers do it?
>
> Just stuck in from above; the batten is tapered across the with, i.e.
> much thicker at the top, aund goes into matching cutuot in the cheeks.
> Most battens are kept in this way more or less and that is how I do it,
> too, unless there is good reason to screw the batten in.

Did 18th century makers start using screws? I can see them being more
useful on later, wider instruments. Though the wooden pegs Jack
described would work too, I guess.

It's funny that I've never seen a non-italian instrument that didn't
have a screwed-in batten! I guess it's very convenient, and easier to
make a not-perfectly-shaped piece of wood fit satisfactorily. Often the
screws are very ugly, though. Particularly in my harpsichord, where the
not-very-experienced kit builder put the screws in too low, and then
moved them, leavng some gaping holes and messing up the molding.. Once I
get the action working more nicely, i'll have to start working on the
cosmetic aspect of this instrument....

--
Jon-o Addleman - http://www.redowl.ca